In the desert
I saw a creature, naked, bestial,
Who, squatting upon the ground,
Held his heart in his hands,
And ate of it.
I said, “Is it good, friend?”
“It is bitter—bitter,” he answered;
“But I like it
“Because it is bitter,
“And because it is my heart.”
[1905]
A Man Said to the Universe
A man said to the universe:
“Sir, I exist!”
“However,” replied the universe,
“The fact has not created in me
A sense of obligation.”
[1899]
Questions:
In the Desert
- In this poem the speaker meets a creature (human?) eating its own heart. What kinds of ideas and concepts does “heart” typically suggest? Which of these do you think Crane is interested in? What, finally, might it mean to eat your own heart?
- What is the significance of the setting of this poem (that is, “the desert”)?
- Of what significance is it that the creature describes his heart as “bitter”?
A Man Said to the Universe
- In “A Man Said to the Universe” Crane uses a poetic device called personification, in which an inanimate object is invested with human characteristics. What is being personified, and what effect does Crane achieve by using this device?
- In relation to the preceding question, describe the ironic effect achieved by Crane’s use of personification.
- What does this poem suggest about Crane’s worldview?
No comments:
Post a Comment